Gentamycin cassettes

Hecht Hecht at mars.rowan.edu
Tue Aug 22 13:26:43 EST 1995

In article <t.barnett-180895155956 at mg1_44.med.utas.edu.au>,
t.barnett at path.utas.edu.au () wrote:

> Hi,
 >
 >I am after a chloramphenicol-R or gentamicin-R cassette
>snip<

Schweizer, H.D. (1993)  Small broad-host range gentamycin resistance
gene cassettes for site-specific insertion and eletion mutagenesis.
BioTechniques 15:  831-834.

I have used these cassettes and they work well.  These cassettes are
based on the aacC1 gene, which confers Gm-R but not Kan-R.  One of the
cassettes is a derivative of the omega Spec-R/Strep-R cassette, the
other is pretty much just the gene and a polylinker.  In my hands, the
latter can be used to generate polar and nonpolar insertions depending
upon the orientation of the cassette.

Gregory Hecht
Dept. Biological Sciences
Rowan College of NJ