Is phage display vector commercially available?

Zhonglin Chai zchai at COBRA.PATH.MONASH.EDU.AU
Wed Aug 23 01:00:22 EST 1995

>In article <v01510100ac5de9a7a9a8@[130.194.152.101]>
>zchai at COBRA.PATH.MONASH.EDU.AU (Zhonglin Chai) writes:
>>Hello there,
>>
>>       I Wonder if there is any phage display expression vector (for cDNA
>>library construction) commercially available? I appreciate any form of
>>help.

>I believe Stratagene (La Jolla, CA) has a vector called SurfZAP.  This is
>a variant on the lambdaZAP system.  The single strand rescue phagemid
>that is incorporated into the lambda vector (a kind of pBluescript) has
>an M13 gene III segment downstream of the polylinker.  You ligate your
>inserts into the lambda, package, and infect bacteria.  After making the
>lambda library, use a helper phage to rescue the phagemid as a
>filamentous phagemid with the displayed fusion protein.
>
>Daniel Kim
> ps.  I have never used this system.

        Unfortunately this SurfZAP has the leader protein gene (M13 gene
III) located downstream from the insert gene, which makes it very difficult
for cDNA libraries. Most of the cDNA inserts (oligo(dT) primed and
directionally cloned) have, at least, an in-frame stop codon. Hence, the
leader protein won't be produced (no fusion protein produced) and the
expressed foreign protein won't be displayed on the phage surface.

        Do you know any phage display vectors that have a leader protein
upstream the cloning site?

Many Thanks

ZhongLin Chai

Department of Pathology and Immunology
Monash Medical School
Alfred Hospital
Commercial Rd, Prahran, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Telephone: (61 3) 276 2698
           (61 3) 388 1205 (home)
Fax:       (61 3) 529 6484
email:     zchai at cobra.path.monash.edu.au