Freezing damage DNA?

Paul N Hengen pnh at fcsparc6.ncifcrf.gov
Fri Aug 18 15:00:09 EST 1995

 In article <jgraham.808694917 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
 jgraham at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (the End) writes:

> In my new lab, there is an absolute "phobia" about freezing DNA
> samples (ie. freeze-thaw cycles). I have always frozen all plasmid
> samples, as well as single stranded plasmids and oligonucleotides
> and RNAs. I even recall a Biotechniques article which demonstrated
> mutiple freeze-thaw cycles did not nick plamsids.
>
> The source of the paranoia appears to involve the stability of
> cosmids and isolated genomic DNA during freeze-thaw cylces.
>
> Does anyone else fear storing cosmids and cosmid libraries
> or genomic DNA at -20?
>
> JIm
> J. Graham PhD

Welcome Back Dr. Graham :-) !! I've been wondering what happened
to you.  To answer your question...No. Not one bit! Never had a
problem.

If you want some ammunition for the paranoids, use this weapon:

@article{Anonymous1983,
author = "Anonymous",
title = "Does freezing and thawing of {DNA} solutions
insert nicks in the double helix?",
journal = "B.R.L. Focus",
volume = "5",
number = "2",