PCR Buffer? PARR Buffer?

Dr. J.P. Clewley jclewley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 11:21:25 EST 1995

PARR buffer comes from Cambio, 34 Millington Road, Cambridge CB3 9HP, UK
Phone: 01223 66500; fax: 01223 350069

PARR stands for polymerase assisted repair reaction, and I assume it
was introduced to avoid legal problems with PCR.

According to Cambio's catalogue it's a proprietary buffer.
If I had to guess I'd say it is a variant of the old 7.5M ammonium
acetate PCR buffer that was mentioned in the Kogan NEJM paper, one
of the first to describe the use of Taq in PCR cf Klenow.
Alternatively, it could be from one of the Khorana papers that almost
invented PCR but didn't quite, their papers being called things
like: DNA Repair Reactions. Hence PARR.

Jon