growing bacteria in microtite

Ted M. tedm at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Aug 23 22:13:44 EST 1995

In article <41cso1$ksq at infoserv.rug.ac.be>, nater at gargamel.rug.ac.be
(Nancy Terryn) wrote:

> Dear netfriends,
>
> has anybody out there tried to grow bacteria in microtiterplates in
> a small volume like 200 microliter? I just had a funny result with that.
> All the bacteria in the middle of the plate grew well but the onces  on
the outer rows did not grow? How can this be explained? I did not shake
the plates, i just put them at 37.

> --
> Nancy Terryn

Nancy,
I suspect you used a microtiter plate with a loose fitting plastic cover
aka a tissue culture type plate, and the outer wells dessicated while the
inner ones didn't. I have had best luck shaking the plates quite fast
(„250RPM) with a rich media like TB. Too bad "Mr. Microplate" or whoever
doesn't make a baffled bottom 96 well plate.

PS the 48 prong template sold in SIgma is great for going from the 96 well
plate to solid media.
Good Luck!

regards,

Ted Michelini