Help with Growth Media Precipitation

Ron Tate rtate at bmb-fs1.biochem.okstate.edu/
Thu Aug 24 10:20:40 EST 1995

Hello,
					I use a synthetic media to grow bacteria in order to define the
vitamins and cofactors present.  I use charcoal treated Casein, various
vitamins, and salts and KPO4 to buffer at pH 7.  I have made this and
grown many many batches of bacteria with no problems until recently.  I
am now having a problem with a precipitate forming when I adjust the pH.
It appears to be CaPO4.  It also precitates if casein and KPO4 are the
only ingredients present or if I adjust the pH to near 7 before I add
the KPO4.  I have tried another source of water with the same results.

Than Q
Ron Tate