Help! Slooooooow electrophoresis

Keith Hoek -BIOCHEM hoek at
Fri Aug 25 18:24:09 EST 1995

Help!  My SDS-PAGE electrophoreses take forever to complete.  I hope
someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

I run 14 x 16 cm (1.5 mm) gels at 20 mA per gel at 4 degrees.  They usually
take 16 hours to finish!  Sometimes longer.  The results are fine, but I wish
it wouldn't take so darn long.  My gel is the usual beast (I think).

12% resolving gel (29:1 stock) containing ...
50 mM TrisHCl, pH 8.8,
0.1% SDS
0.15% ammonium persulfate

3.75% stacking gel (29:1 stock) containing ...
250 mM TrisHCl, pH 6.8
0.1% SDS
0.15% ammonium persulfate

The running buffer consists of
250 mM TrisHCl, pH 8.3
1.92 M glycine
1% SDS

(Please don't tell me its the powerpack, I've only got one!)

Keith Hoek                                      hoek at
              intracellular mRNA transport
                                                ... don't stop me now