Choosing a PCR machine

Richard R. Hardy hardy at mighty.fccc.edu
Fri Aug 25 14:30:55 EST 1995

In article <41l082$snc at sunca.ncaur.gov>, skorycd at ncaur1.ncaur.gov (Christ
Skory) wrote:

>I also bought the PE gene amp 2400 and have been very happy with
>it. It probably isn't that much better than the MJ machine, but I
>can say from personal experience that the service from PE is 10x
>better than MJ. So if the extra service isn't worth a little
>extra money, then buy an MJ.  Be warned ... they are back-logged
>and you will have to wait your turn in line.

I must say that our service from MJ has been reasonable - we maintain
service contracts (institute policy on critical instruments) and have got
exchange loaners when there's been a problem (which has been rare).  There
are 5 or 6 MJ machines in the neighborhood and I think this is the general
experience here.  I'm sure PE machines and service are also exemplary, if
a bit pricey...
Richard R. Hardy                       Member, Institute for Cancer Research
Fox Chase Cancer Center                Tel:    (215) 728-2463
7701 Burholme Ave.                     FAX:    (215) 728-2412
Philadelphia, PA 19111                 E-MAIL: R_HARDY at fccc.edu