TE saturation of chloroform/isoamyl alcohol?

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 19:29:23 EST 1995

In article <41iij9$svu at news.duke.edu>, Margon Vandongen
<vando005 at mc.duke.edu> wrote:
>Botma,
>
>Definitely true!! May I suggest though you buy this already
>made (Gibco sells it), it is a mess to have to do it yourself.
>No attachments etc.
>
>Margon

Is this really true?  I've never TE saturated my chloroform (I don't
bother with the isoamyl alcohol) and haven't noticed any problems...

Now phenol's another matter entirely!  I definitely agree that its better
to get this pre-equilibrated (let alone un-redistilled, ugh).  True, it is
much more expensive per liter, but then I get through far far less than a
bottle a year, so the total expense is small...

David

D.R.Micklem,
Tennis Court Road,
Cambridge CB2 1QR             Fruit flies like a banana.
UK
Tel: [+44] (0)1223 334129     Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fax: [+44] (0)1223 334089