DNA "refusing" to be run in agarose gel

Ketil Thorstensen ketilt at dmf.unit.no
Fri Aug 25 13:22:22 EST 1995

Honored contributors to the molbio.methds-reagnts!

I have a peculiar problem with persuading some of my DNA samples to run in
agarose gels.

When loading DNA samples on agarose gels I have on several occasions observed
a strange (to me) phenomenon: after application of a sample into a well a
streak of the sample may follow the pipette tip upon withdrawal. When the
sample in this way comes in contact with the buffer surface, the sample very
rapidly spreads out to cover the entire surface. During this process most of
the sample in the well is "sucked" out.
There is no recognizable pattern as to what sample this may happen with. It
is, however, frustrating when precious samples are lost (the last one was a
1.9 kb DNA probe)  :í-(
Could anyone enlighten me as to what I am observing, and how to prevent
this from happening again?

Thank you very much,

Ketil Thorstensen, Ph.D.
Dept. Clinical Chemistry