DNA "refusing" to be run in agarose gel

Kenneth HOWE howe at ORCHID.UCSC.EDU
Fri Aug 25 12:31:29 EST 1995

Ketil,
I don't know how you're preparing your samples, but it sounds like you
either have a running buffer problem or there's ethanol still in your
samples (assuming you've done an ethanol precipitation step prior to
running your gel).  I would suggest trying someone else's buffer, and DNA
as controls and always make sure that your samples are free of any alcohol
or else they will float.

Ken
"The onions expressed here are my own"

On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Ketil Thorstensen wrote:

> Honored contributors to the molbio.methds-reagnts!
>=20
> I have a peculiar problem with persuading some of my DNA samples to run i=
n=20
> agarose gels.
>=20
> When loading DNA samples on agarose gels I have on several occasions obse=
rved=20
> a strange (to me) phenomenon: after application of a sample into a well a=
=20
> streak of the sample may follow the pipette tip upon withdrawal. When the=
=20
> sample in this way comes in contact with the buffer surface, the sample v=
ery=20
> rapidly spreads out to cover the entire surface. During this process most=
 of=20
> the sample in the well is "sucked" out.
> There is no recognizable pattern as to what sample this may happen with. =
It=20