Computer Virus from American Cancer Society diskette

Young Whang ywhang at ucla.edu
Sat Aug 26 12:00:11 EST 1995

I want to warn the research community about a possibility of a computer virus
from a research grant application diskette from American Cancer Society.  My
computer got infected with a boot sector virus called NYB when I accidentally
booted my computer with this diskette that I obtained from UCLA Office of
Contracts and Grants.  Subsequently, this virus was found on diskettes given
to other researchers by this Office.  I hear that this virus is on the
original diskette they received from ACS before they copied and distributed
through out UCLA.  Therefore, there is a possibility that other institutions
may have received infected diskettes from ACS.  This virus is easily detected
and cleaned by software available by downloading from
ftp://ftp.mcafee.com/pub/antivirus
and download  scn-225e.zip
You need an unzipping application to run this program.  It is also available
in the same area.
Hope nobody else suffers like I did.  It played havoc with my computer for a
while until I found and removed the virus.  Just beware
Young Whang, MD, PhD
Division of Hematology-Oncology, Dept of Medicine
UCLA School of Medicine