effect of '3 UTR on recombinant expression

Niels Groot marker at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 26 05:35:04 EST 1995

I'm trying to express a recombinant protein but till now expression
levels are rather low: +/-  200 ng /ml.
This low expresion levels are expression system independent: sofar I
tried COScells / BHK cells (pcDNAI under CMV promoter control) and the
Baculovirus sytem. I don't think this is the result of instability of
the recombinant protein itself or due to degradation by proteases.
The cDNA clone I use lacks most part of the '3 UTR sequence. Is it
possible that this lack of the '3 UTR causes instability of the
recombinant RNA and hence low expression levels?