Setting up a lab at home

martin LEACH leach at bu.edu
Mon Aug 28 11:13:20 EST 1995

In one word

EXPENSIVE

the reagents cost a bomb!

Martin

Susan Jane Hogarth (sjhogart) wrote:
: Hello,

: I'm considering setting up a basic "molecular biology" laboratory in my home. I
: hope to design/build much of the equipment, and to purchase some. This is not
: as far-fetched as it may seem (I hope!) as my mate is a
: machinist/programmer/designer who hopes to use my setup to work on his
: equipment designs. My vision is of a place where, free from having to justify
: work financially, I can play around with "hobby projects". I see this home lab
: as a place to do "preliminary experiments" (=low reps), which can (if
: promising) be imported into the academic lab.

: Does anyone think this is feasible in this day and age? Any advice? Will
: experiments produced outside of an "institute" be publishable? I'd like some
: feedback on this idea.

: Of course the Big Question is: Why would anyone want to take LABwork HOME?
: Must just be crazy, I guess ;-)
: --
: Susan Jane Hogarth
: sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu