Setting up a lab at hom

"Hansen Lab", not U.H. hansen_lab#l#not_u.h.#r# at MACMAILGW.DFCI.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Aug 28 12:00:12 EST 1995

        Reply to:   RE>>Setting up a lab at home

And what about the regulations (OSHA, EPA, NRC--if you do any work with
radioactivity)? ETC!
Peggy

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/28/95 12:46 PM
To: Hansen Lab(not U.H.)
From: martin LEACH
In one word

EXPENSIVE

the reagents cost a bomb!

Martin

Susan Jane Hogarth (sjhogart) wrote:
: Hello,

: I'm considering setting up a basic "molecular biology" laboratory in my
home. I
: hope to design/build much of the equipment, and to purchase some. This is
not
: as far-fetched as it may seem (I hope!) as my mate is a
: machinist/programmer/designer who hopes to use my setup to work on his
: equipment designs. My vision is of a place where, free from having to
justify
: work financially, I can play around with "hobby projects". I see this home
lab
: as a place to do "preliminary experiments" (=low reps), which can (if
: promising) be imported into the academic lab.

: Does anyone think this is feasible in this day and age? Any advice? Will
: experiments produced outside of an "institute" be publishable? I'd like some
: feedback on this idea.

: Of course the Big Question is: Why would anyone want to take LABwork HOME?
: Must just be crazy, I guess ;-)
: --
: Susan Jane Hogarth
: sjhogart at unity.ncsu.edu