TnPhoA mutagenesis question

cliff at cliff at
Tue Aug 29 01:36:04 EST 1995

Hi all

I have an E.coli mutant which was created by TnPhoA mutagenesis. The
transposon jumped into the 3-phosphoglycerate kinase (pgk) gene in the

		gapB - pgk - fda

glycolytic operon. My question is - does this mean that the fda gene
downstream of pgk is automatically inactive (polar mutation) OR does
TnphoA (or Tn5 for that matter) have a known endogenous promoter in its
inverted repeats ie. will the fda gene be transcribed from within the
transposon ? The gene would have to be transcribed from within the right
inverted repeat.

The literature (that I have read thus far) is not very helpful in this

Look forward to hearing from you
Cliff Dominy