ALF Express Problems

RPA Groot rpa.groot.oncol at med.vu.nl
Tue Aug 29 02:40:11 EST 1995

In article <41ncoh$i10 at usenetz1.news.prodigy.com>, RLZP39B at prodigy.com (Douglas Buechter) says:

>We recently purchased an ALF Express DNA sequencing system from Pharmacia.
>  The apparatus works well but we are having a lot of problems getting
>Pharmacia's sequencing kit to work when we use internal labeling with Cy5-
>dATP.  Labeled primers do ok but with the internal labeling we get either
>no or litte signal in trying to sequence plasmids that sequence ok either
>by manual Sequenase or with Cy5- labeled primers.  We typically do Wizard
>Minipreps but have also tried a couple of times to sequence Qiagen-
>prepped plasmids with no better sucess.
>   Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>-
>  DOUGLAS BUECHTER  RLZP39B at prodigy.com

In our laboratory internal labeling with fluorescein-15dATP is a
well know problem.

According to Wiemann et.al.,Biotechniques 1995 Vol.18 No.4 p688-697,
this is a primer problem; an 'A*' must be as close at the primer binding
site as possible (not more then 2 nucleotides downstream).
When an 'A*' is incorporated directly after a primer,the sequencing
reaction should be succesfull.

So 25-50% of all primers should work.(wich I haven't checked for our primers)

Richard Groot