12CA5 MAb immunoprecipitation

brett brett at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Aug 31 10:07:16 EST 1995

>Dear Netters,
>
>        We are trying to immunoprecipitate (from total yeast lysate) an
>epitope tagged protein. The epitope is the HA tag YPYDVPDYA with the MAb
>12CA5. We're having high background problems coming from non-specific
>binding to protein A-sepharose beads. The antibody worked great for
>western blot detection, but not at all for immunoprecipitation. My buffer
>contains 50 mM Tris pH 7.5, 150 mM Nacl, 2 mM MgCl2, 1 mM EDTA, 0.5 %
>NP-40 and 1 mM PMSF.
>
>        Does anyone have a protocol for immunoprecipitation with the
>12CA5 Ab ? Also, any suggestions, references or hints would be greatly
>appreciated.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>J-Y Masson
>CHUL research center
>Quebec, CANADA

Your IP buffer is a little like glue. To decrease nonspecific binding, wash
3x in your buffer + 1mg/ml BSA (V), and 0.125% SDS (assuming this will be
compatible with your future use, such as SDS-PAGE), then once in TNE. This
should clean things up quite a bit.  7-)

Brett Lindenbach

Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu