Western Blot

Jim Hutchins hutchins at fiona.umsmed.edu
Thu Aug 31 18:07:16 EST 1995

Pamela Norton (pnorton at lac.jci.tju.edu) wrote:
:     My curiosity has been sparked by this thread. I don't have extensive
: experience with blotting many different types of proteins, but we routinely
: transfer proteins of >200 kDa in 20% MeOH, no SDS. How much is transfer
: affected by the hydrophobicity of the protein in question? (ours are not
: very). Is there a good reference for this sort of thing?

Glad you asked :-)

Van Oss CJ, Good RJ and Chaudhury MK.  Mechanism of DNA (Southern) and protein
(Western) blotting on cellulose nitrate and other membranes.  J Chromatog
391(1):53-65, 1987.

I highly recommend this paper.  The biophysics is a little slow going, but
you can get the sense of it from the summary paragraphs at the end of each

Jim Hutchins
Assoc Prof Anatomy, Asst Prof Neurology (Research), Univ Mississippi Med Ctr
http://fiona.umsmed.edu/~hutchins/    ***    E-mail:   hutchins at umsmed.edu
``It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it.''--American
infantry officer firing on Ben Tre, Vietnam, 2/8/68