Does RNasin inhibit RT?

mhughes at mbcf.stjude.org mhughes at mbcf.stjude.org
Thu Aug 31 19:34:57 EST 1995

In article <42079o$kus at cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, sullivan at gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Steven Sullivan) writes:
> In the course of tweaking differential display protocols, it appears that
> a commonly used RNase inhibitor (Promega RNasin), added as 1 ul per 20 ul
> reverse transcription reaction, seems to reduce the amount of 1st strand
> product compared to identical reactions lacking Rnasin.  I've found this
> to be true regardless of whether Superscript or MMLV is used as a reverse
> transcriptase. Has anyone else observed this, or should I send it off
> immediately to Biotechniques ? ;>

Steven,
	We have been using RNasin (Promega) in out RT reactions here for quite
awhile.  We use AMV RT from Life Technologies and don't have a problem getting a
good deal of cDNA, leaving it out though, does seriously affect our product.
That might reflect the RNA source more than the reaction. Who would know.

Mark
MHUGHES at mbcf.stjude.org