HELP! Degenerate primers

Mark S. Strom strom at listeria.nwfsc.noaa.gov
Fri Dec 1 17:36:19 EST 1995

baharvey at swansea.ac.uk wrote:

> Does anyone have a rough idea of the maximum degeneracy
> that primers can have, that a PCR reaction will tolerate.
> ie is it around 64 , 256, 1024, 2048 etc etc or what?
>
> Does anyone out there have any practical experiences using
> degenerate primers that I could mail for advice.RE amplification
> conditions etc etc

I've recently been doing this to amplify a fragment of bacterial DNA.  My
degenerate primers contained 96 combinations, and using one of these with a
specific primer for the other end, I was able to successfully amplify the
desired fragment with a decent yield.  Email if you want any more specific
info.

Mark
--
Mark S. Strom, Ph.D.                 (206) 860-3379
Utilization Research Div.            (206) 860-3394 (Fax)
Northwest Fisheries Science Ctr.     mstrom at sci.nwfsc.noaa.gov
NMFS/NOAA                            strom at listeria.nwfsc.noaa.gov
2725 Montlake Blvd. E.
Seattle, WA  98112-2097