Best PCR primer Program for Mac

J. Pat Martinez martinez at puccini.CRL.umn.edu
Fri Dec 1 09:25:16 EST 1995

The recent Oligo (version 5.0) appears to be a very good program.  It's
produced by NBI (800) 747-4362.  They'll send you a free demo disk if you
ask.  When designing primers I use software like Primer or Geneworks using
a Unix interface.  I then have NBI make my oligos.  Before synthesizing
any primer, NBI first runs it thru their Oligo program and will inform you
if there are any potential problems with your primers such as strong
primer dimer formation.  One time there program found a significant self
priming structure within one of the primers that our program didn't find.
We just gave them an alternative primer to try and it passed with flying
colors.  Saved us from making a potentially bogus primer.