NOS antibodies

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Fri Dec 1 16:40:49 EST 1995

In article <49krq0$app at mars.mahidol.ac.th>, stscs at mucc.mahidol.ac.th says...

>Does any one know a commercial source for antobody against NOS(Nitric
>Oxide Synthase) or better still would someone be kind enough to donate us
>some. We work in Thailand on a very special kind of suddend death and
>would like to to some studies on NO involvment in this disease
>Thanks
>Stefano Casalotti
>stscs at mucc.mahidol.ac.th

I have tried the offerings from Affinity BioReagents, Santa Cruz Biotech.
and Transduction Laboratories.  I was particularly interested in detecting
iNOS in Western immunoblotting of tissues and used ECL detection.  All
antibodies worked for the cytokine-treated RAW cell lysate provided by
Transduction Laboratories (a nice touch) but only the Transduction
Labs antibodies would pick up iNOS in tissues of LPS-treated animals
(the others picked up nothing specific).  The TL antibodies (polyclonal
and monoclonal) were raised against a 184 residue peptide whereas all
the others were against short N or C-terminal sequences.  I have no
experience with the eNOS or bNOS antibodies from anyone.
	One other consideration is the species in which you wish to work.
The TL antibody works with human and mouse tissues (no information on
other species) and the specificity of the other anti-peptide antibodies
should be predictable from the provided sequences of the immunogens
and the known sequences of the NOS proteins.
	Our Lab has had poor experiences with Santa Cruz antibodies in
the past so I don't think that this is an isolated incident.  Save your
money.  TL are;

Transduction Laboratories,
133 Venture Ct., Suite 5,
Lexington Kentucky 40503
(606) 277-1399
1-800-227-4063
(606) 276-2251 (fax)

	If anyone has any other recommendations I would also be very
interested to hear them.  I have no affiliation with Transduction
Laboratories except for being a satisfied (and relieved!) customer.

		Bernard
Bernard Murray, Ph.D.