Western blot/antigen

Gopal Thinakaran gopal at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 1 16:36:54 EST 1995

Hi eveyone,

	I have a couple of questions regarding ways to treat proteins bound to
nitrocellulose/nylon membnranes:

1)  I have used strips of NC/nylon membrane containing .5 to 1 mg of GST
fusion protein to affinity purify antibodies. I notice that some of the
fusion protein comes off the membrane during the affinity purification
process.  Is there a simple way of treating the membrane after protein
transfer to "fix" the protein.  (I am not sure how reliable drying the
nylon membrane is).

2)  One of the anti-peptide polyclonal antibodies that I am currently
characterizing works well for immunocytochemistry (4% para fixation for
upto overnight) on brain sections.  The staining appears to be real
since it is completely blocked by prior incubation of the antibody with
the peptide antigen.  However, I am having difficulties detecting the
protein on blots.  Is is reasonalble to attempt denaturing the protein
(or treat the blot) by incubation with urea or guanidine to "expose" the
antigenic site?

Thanks,

Gopal.

Gopal Thinakaran, Ph.D
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Baltimore.