RT-PCR vs Northern

Paul N Hengen pnh at cockleberry.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Dec 4 13:30:42 EST 1995

> I'm about to start gene expression studies at the transcription level but
> I have not decided between RT-PCR and Northern analysis as the method to
> use.  I only need to have a yes or no answer for expression initially and
> then have some idea on the level of expression.  How do the methods
> compare in terms of ease/difficulty in running the experiments, and in
> terms of amount and quality of information?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>

> Gabby Romero

There was a huge discussion on this very topic not too long ago, which
was reviewed in TIBS...Doing RT-PCR is easy to set up, but the numerous
controls can cost you more time than if you had done the RPA or northern.
Also, if you are a student who has a nasty committee member adverse to
quantitative PCR, you might have to back it up with one of these other
assays anyway.

@article{Hengen1995Novtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Quantitative {PCR} - an
accurate measure of {mRNA}?",
volume = "20",
number = "11",
pages = "476-477",