RT-PCR vs Northern

Jody K. Hirsh jkh141 at nwu.edu
Mon Dec 4 10:44:38 EST 1995

In article <49l20s$bq at mark.ucdavis.edu>,
ez008413 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu says...

--
I agree RT-PCR is faster and definitely requires much less RNA. I would
recommend using Gibco's Trizol (for total RNA) and their Superscript Kit

For quantification, I used the Clontech kit, but it was very flaky.
Specifically,  we would find that the concentration ranges for the same pool
of RNA were different each time.  It seemed like the concentrations of the
competing primers may have changed on storage or something. We would
get strange dilution errors that were impossible to track down. Email me if
you need any further explaination of this if you want more info.

Jody K. Hirsh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL.   USA
jkh141 at nwu.edu