fresh APS (former SDS-PAGE)

GJ. Collins bijgh at zeus.bris.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 09:53:54 EST 1995

Stephen R. Lasky (Stephen_Lasky at brown.edu) wrote:

: Jim, you've been lucky.  When I was a grad student I tried doing the same
: thing you describe.  After a run of failed gels just when I was trying to
: finish off a paper, I traced the problem back to the APS.  I make it fresh
: every time now and teach my students and postdocs to do the same.  After
: all, how hard is it to make a 10% APS solution?  Dump some APS out an a
: weigh paper, see what it weighs, add enough water to make 10% and mix.
: Takes about as long as defrosting a tube of frozen APS.

We don't even bother weighing out APS.  I measured it out properly
the first time, and every time since I've just thrown what looks
like a similar amount into the bottom of an eppendorf.  It doesn't have
to be accurate and it couldn't take any less time.

Jared

(I just dump 100ul volume of APS powder into 1.5ml eppendorf, add 1ml
ddH2O, mix and use as 1/250 fresh stock - Pierre email hijacker)

--
Jared Head     at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol