Designing in restriction sites

Mikhail Alexeyev malexeyev at biost1.thi.tmc.edu
Tue Dec 5 18:41:45 EST 1995

In article <30C4D446.2F1B at umich.edu>, Rick Neubig <RNeubig at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am interested in designing unique restriction sites into a particular
> general area of a plasmid without changing the expressed protein. There
> are no naturally occuring restriction sites. Two questions:
>
> 1) Is there software that tackles this kind of problem or are there
> general approaches which have been taken to simplify this?

Look in New England Biolabs cat.. p.204 (1995). Also, I beleive that Raj
Shankarappa (spelling?) published a couple articles in BioTechniques on
this subject, one of them describing a programm (Silmut?). AFAIR, article
says that the programm is available by sending a self-adressed disk to
author.

> 2) Is there a good place to get a list of restriction enzymes
> sorted by their recognition sequence (not by enzyme name)? This
> would help me with this process.

Yes, New England Biolabs catalog (1995) p.146.

Good luck,
M. Alexeyev