3.2 Kb PCR Problems

Mr V. Schoenfeld DOM vs10005 at crc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 13:34:22 EST 1995

There has been a few posts recently concerning long PCR problems. I'm not going to
pretend I have an answer for all of them but I think I can help: don't trust your taq!
We have tried countless taqs in the past, in parallel, and some of the really
expensive ones (e.g pfu) often performed poorly in harsh tests. The surprising
winner: Bio-Xact from Bioline. It's one of these taq cocktail mixes and it
works incredibly well. We've used to map genes within single cosmids (in Fugu) by
extending to the cosmid arms i.e. up to approx 15 kb. The difference is even striking with
3-6 kb bands, the band is MUCH brighter. Try iT!

Vince

Vincent Schoenfeld
Graduate Student
University Department of Medicine
Addenbrooke's Hospital
Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK

vs10005 at med.cam.ac.uk          | Phone: (0223)402436/336853
                               | Fax:   (0223)21136

'If we knew what we were doing, it would not be called research'