SigmaGel comments?

davesmith at bioch.tamu.edu davesmith at bioch.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 5 16:46:54 EST 1995

jfl at eukaryota (Jean-Francois Larrivee) wrote:

>Is anyone currently using SigmaGel from Jandel? Is it any good? I'm planning
>on buying it so I would like some advice from users. Is it worth the price?

>thank you for your time

>jfl

>Jean-Francois Larrivee
>Graduate Student in Experimental Medicine (pharmacology)
>Centre de Recherche de l'Hotel-Dieu de Quebec
>Universite Laval

>e-mail: jfl at rsvs.ulaval.ca
>	jfl at zone.ca
Jean-Francois,
I'm glad to share this piece of info with you--we own SigmaGel and I'm
disappointed with Jandel's product.  We use our HewlettPackard IIcx
scanner to put .tif image files of western blots and coomassie-stained
SDS-PAGE on our hard drive.  Then we "quantitate" bands using
SigmaGel.  The software is not exactly user friendly and it often
gives numbers which disagree with straightforward "eyeballing".  The
major drawback to the program is the inability to define multiple
values for background over a given "lane" on a gel.  The program only
allows one setting for "threshold" for any given image.  As a result
the user is constantly redefining the background or threshold--this
becomes very time-consuming and annoying.  I should point out that
there are three basic utilities the software is supposed to
perform--estimating molecular weight (we haven't used this, yet),
quantitating "spots" (bands), and quantitating areas under peaks for
som given lane.  My views regarding the software are shared with other
members of our department who have tried to use it.  I recommend
looking around elsewhere and buying SigmaGel as a last resort.

dave.

PS  If you find a good PC-compatible program, PLEASE let us know!
We are "Mac-less" in our lab, but have heard that NIH's mac software
called NIH Image (freeware) is very good.