Acrylamide Gel Solubilization

Dima Klenchin klenchin at macc.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 20:04:43 EST 1995

In article <1995Dec5.183851.109609 at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu wrote:
>Well, here I am with a question instead of an answer...
>We need methods for solubilizing 10% acrylamide/7M urea gels so that
>[3-H]radiolabeled nucleic acids can be quantified. I used to use perchlorate.H2O2
>for 3% gels, but that doesn't work with these gels.

If only urea changes anything... If not, then what worked for me,
should for you.
	We dissolve 12% acrylomide gels with 30% H2O2 (no perchlorate)
for exactly the same purpose (but protein) by overnight incubation at
+60C. Infact, it's usually done in 2 hr but who wants to wait for that?
1 ml/standard 20 ml scint. vial is OK provided that it's closed well
(we use oven). Make sure H2O2 is fresh and store it at +4C.
	Not all cocktails "like" the stuff. You might need to experiment
with different.

Hope this helps,