Acrylamide Gel Solubilization

pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:38:51 EST 1995

Well, here I am with a question instead of an answer...
We need methods for solubilizing 10% acrylamide/7M urea gels so that [3-H]radiolabeled nucleic acids can be quantified. I used to use perchlorate.H2O2 for 3% gels, but that doesn't work with these gels. We typically have 10 to 30 bands from a slab gel that must be quantified.
Please bear in mind that polymerized acrylamide quenches 3-H, so solubilization is probably the best way to go.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, and will be summarized here. Thanks!

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer         | voice: 913-864-3939    FAX:913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry   | pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                |
|    and of Botany               | URL: gopher://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu:70  |
| University of Kansas           | "When you have excluded the impossible,  |
| 2045 Haworth Hall              |  whatever remains, however improbable,   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106       |  must be the truth."    Sherlock Holmes  |