transformation of E. coli SM10

Tim Barnett T.Barnett at path.utas.edu.au
Wed Dec 6 14:11:45 EST 1995

I am trying to transform E. coli SM10 or S17-1, both of which possess the
RP4 transfer regions in trans necessary for subsequent mobilisation of
plasmids via conjugation.  I have tried the basic CaCl2 treatment protocol
from Sambrook and have obtained negligible transformation frequencies
(JM109 prepared by the the same protocol transforms beautifully).  I was
wondering if anybody has any "in-house" tricks for transforming these
strains, or knows of another strain which could serve the same purpose.

Thanks in advance,

Tim