Low cost autoseq reviews please

pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu pgegen at rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu
Tue Dec 5 19:28:36 EST 1995

In <lwashing-0412951603350001 at raven.bio.indiana.edu>, lwashing at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu (Lawrence Washington) writes:
>In article <DIK0su.L32 at freenet.carleton.ca>, ac562 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
>(Robert J. Forster) wrote:
>
>> My lab has some money to buy an automated sequencer, although not enough
>> for an ABI377.  We are considering the following models
>>
>> Molecular Dynamics Vistra 725
>> Pharmacia ALF Express
>> ABI Prism 310 Capillary
>>
>> They are all around $75,000 CDN.
>>
>> If anyone has one of these machines installed in their lab could you
>> please send me a short run down about how you like or dislike its performance.
>>

>I have no direct experience with the systems you mentioned, but you might
>also look at the Li-Cor system.  It is in the price range you mention and
>is a good machine, known for very long, very accurate reads and
>better-than-average customer support.
>
>(I have no connection with Li-Cor other than as a customer)
>
>-Lawrence
>
>--
>Lawrence Washington
>Indiana University
>Institute for Molecular
> and Cellular Biology

I'll second this. Our core facility has a LI-COR 4000L which works extremely well, giving reads of 700 to >=1000 bp. The machine uses state-of-the-art optics (a solid-state infrared laser) which are much more robust than anyone else's. The auto-read software is very accurate, and because the machine can be networked, you could do manual or semi-auto reads at your own PC.  The price is about $70K, and more gel stands could be added later for about 1/2 that amount.

|  Dr. Peter Gegenheimer         | voice: 913-864-3939    FAX:913-864-5321  |
|  Departments of Biochemistry   | pgegen at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu                |
|    and of Botany               | URL: gopher://rnaworld.bio.ukans.edu:70  |
| University of Kansas           | "When you have excluded the impossible,  |
| 2045 Haworth Hall              |  whatever remains, however improbable,   |
| Lawrence  KS  66045-2106       |  must be the truth."    Sherlock Holmes  |