fresh APS (former SDS-PAGE)

Zophonias O. Jonsson zjons at vetbio.unizh.ch
Wed Dec 6 05:33:23 EST 1995

In article <4a3fiv$db9 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ashaw5 at aol.com (AShaw5) wrote:

> Another reckless reply.  I have for many years made my APS and stored it
> at room temp on my bench.  It works fine.  I have never had any trouble.
> I have trained many to do the same.  Noone has every complained.  Our
> recipes probably call for a lot of APS (we use 60ul of 30% in 30mls).
> Andrey Shaw

  Although this thread is getting rather boring I must second this
completely recless reply.  I always make up 10ml stocks of APS and store
in the fridge (+4*C), no problem. What's more, in the lab where I "grew
up" back home in Iceland we made up 10% APS stocks and stored them at room
temp for months sometimes.  Never had any problems with polymerization of
gels (exept once when a student forgot to add bis- to the acrylamide
mix!).  Now someone may claim that since this was in Iceland the room
temperature would have been, well, rather low but don't forget that we
have all that geothermal energy and in that particular lab one could
really feel it, I mean the central heating.  Finally, (to shock the
purists even more), we stored our Temed at room temp as well.  The bottom
line is, do it your way and be happy if it works!

Zophonias

Zophonias O. Jonsson
Institut fur Veterinarbiochemie               Tel: (41-1)-257-54-75
Universitat Zurich-Irchel                     Fax: (41-1)-362-05-01
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich
Switzerland