Receptor cloning using the Ligand part II

Rover rover at ns1.livnet.com
Thu Dec 7 21:48:23 EST 1995

	A few weeks back I asked a question about isolating the receptor using
the ligand and received some very informative replies and email for
which I am very thankful.
	I comes down to the two hybrid system, or luckily for us, since we
have a secretory gene, the panning technique. From what we can gather
after reading the literature and Clontech's protocol either one will
work, but the two hybrid system appears less labor intensive. However,
each has its pros and cons. And we have a few questions.

1) Has anyone with a secretory gene tried both techniques and can
offer an opinion?

2) Has anyone run into the problem of the ligand not binding to the
receptor due to the additional fusion peptides?

3) Are there any other pitfalls to the two techniques that aren't
mentioned in the literature that should be taken into consideration.

	Thanks once again for your help,

--Rover The Mad Molecular Biologist
rover at livnet.com
barlow at picard.evms.edu