poly(A) RNA isolation, question?

Cathy Sprankle Sprankle at ciit.org
Wed Dec 6 21:26:46 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.951206135604.14797A-100000 at verdi>,
hroychow at NMSU.EDU (Hiranya Roychowdhury) wrote:

> On 6 Dec 1995, Shei-Pon Tzung wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> > What is the best commercially available poly(A) RNA isolation kit?
> > I have tried Promega and Qiagen, which gave me a yield about 0.2 to 0.6
> > %? I have been struggling with this for months, Please help.
> > Thanks.
> >
> >        Shie-Pon Tzung
(snip)
> Moving out of the 'kit-based' mindset would be a first step, I believe.
> The good old oligo-dT cellulose (or sepharose, although I prefer the
> former), in a 1-2 mL column made out of sterile 3 mL syringe and glass-wool
> has always worked with excellent recovery.
(snip)
I agree.  I've been very happy with bulk oligo(d)T cellulose from GIBCO/BRL,
and Bio-Rad polypropylene 12 ml columns (can't remember the exact product
name) work very well for me.  I tried spin columns from various sources
several times and was never happy with them; the amount of handling
involved in using them seems to provide opportunities for contamination,
leaving you with poor quality RNA.

Good luck,
Cathy

--
Catherine Sprankle
CIIT
e-mail:  sprankle at ciit.org
Opinions expressed (such as they are!) are strictly mine and do
not reflect those of CIIT.