mRNA extraction from aorta?

Michael Morales mmorales at acpub.duke.edu
Fri Dec 8 11:50:32 EST 1995

Kay A. Pleyte (kpleyte at post.its.mcw.edu) wrote:
:      I need to extract RNA from rat aorta.  The problem is that most of the
: tissue in aorta is connective tissue and only the thin lining of the vessel
: is made up of the smooth muscle that I want.  I can't use a lot of aortas to
: start with because the rats I'm using a special strain and are expensive.

:      I will probably have to isolate total RNA, just to get a reasonable
: amount to pellet, and use a carrier.  Does anyone have experience getting
: RNA from aorta.

I have, and its not that bad.  I use the Trizol reagent sold by BRL (and
others under different names).  The key is that the tissue must be
homogenized in a Brinkman Polytron or similar device.  Don't Dounce!

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Mike Morales