difference in DTT and DTE?

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Fri Dec 8 17:34:22 EST 1995

janke wrote:
: Can one substitute DTT by DTE? What is the difference in using
: these two antioxidants?

	I think the original papers about these two reagents (written by
Cleland) mentioned the existence of dithioerythritol, and that for some
reason, it was cheaper than dithiothreitol.  That's why we use it.  Our
use is in sample prep solutions for gels and to activate the proteolytic
enzyme, papain.  It seems to work fine.

				Steve.
--
Steve Driska, Physiology Department, Temple University Medical School
Philadelphia, PA 19140 USA (215) 707-3283
driska at astro.ocis.temple.edu
If I could think of something witty and clever to say, it would go right