LB broth/agar

Jon Nakamoto jnakamot at
Sat Dec 9 06:20:52 EST 1995

In article <4a9tbm$qt at>, Denni Schnapp
<ds4 at> wrote:

> Sorry folks, I know this has come up some time ago but I cannot remember:
> What does the "LB" in LB broth or agar stand for?
> Thanks,
> Denni (ds4 at

Luria-Bertani. By the way, does anyone out there have a preference for the
higher (10 g) vs. lower (5 g) NaCl recipes out there for LB? We always
used the higher NaCl version (from Sambrook - Maniatis) until I spent a
bit of time playing around with a selective antibiotic which required a
lower NaCl concentration. Could have been my imagination, but I thought
that some bacteria grew a bit more slowly on the low NaCl LB.

Jon Nakamoto
jnakamot at