Ulrich Maier maieru at
Sat Dec 9 07:00:18 EST 1995

In article <4a9lfi$6ic at>, acannons at says...
>Does anyone have suggestions why our blots are suddenly getting a lot of
>background?  We use random-prime labeled DNA with no purification of the
>probe.  The background is speckled-like and is very pronounced around the
>edge of the blot.
>Any ideas?  Thanks

what is your blotting solution ? I solved the same problem by changing
from 10x SSC to 0.4M NaOH. It works even with non-charged nylon membranes.
I think that precipitated salt on the membrane led to the spotty

Or try a membrane with a lower binnding capacity, such as nitrocelluloses

Hope I could help you,

U. Maier