Ultracompetent E.coli cells?

Shin Enomoto shin at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
Fri Dec 8 21:42:51 EST 1995

David L. Haviland, Ph.D. (HAVILAND at KIDS.WUSTL.EDU) wrote:

: I contacted Sratagene on that very point over a year ago.  Their reply was
: that thier protocol for peparing the ultracomps was nothing more than a
: modified form of the Hanahan protocol.  However, these modifications were
: proprietary, of course, and would not be revealed - otherwise they'd loose
: thier market share!  With standard CaCl2, I've managed only as high as 10^4

: I'd love to find a chemical protocol that would get me 10^8 on a regular
: basis.  I should note that 10^8 is all I've ever managed to get with
: electroportation as well.

check out Gene96: 23

It's a modified Hanahan procedure.  More simple and reliable.  Key
feature is growing the cells at 18C.  Kudos to the authors for checking
all the parameters.

I don't have the authors names, sorry.  I switched to this about 2 years
ago and have not gone near electroporators.  My all time high is 10^10.
We routinely get 10^8.