LB broth/agar

Stephen Mamber mamber at synapse.bms.com
Mon Dec 11 13:52:56 EST 1995

In article <jnakamot-0912950320520001 at ts34-10.wla.ts.ucla.edu>, jnakamot at ucla.edu (Jon Nakamoto) says:
>Luria-Bertani. By the way, does anyone out there have a preference for the
>higher (10 g) vs. lower (5 g) NaCl recipes out there for LB?

I prefer 10 g/l NaCl, but there are E. coli constructs with different
permeability mutations that appear to do 'better' using 5 g/l.  I can't
explain why - I can only speculate as to possible osmotic or cell wall/
membrane-related effects.  You may have to try it both ways.  If anyone
else cares to elucidate on this matter, I'd also like to hear about it.

SWM

mamber at synapse.bms.com