RNA from cerebrospinal fluid: best method?

Dr. J.P. Clewley jclewley at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 03:54:31 EST 1995

>Has anyone tried to extract RNA from cerebrospinal fluid?? If so, I would
be very grateful for some advice. I want to get the total RNA out for cDNA
synthesis and PCR. The major problem is the low number of cells present
in  the CSF. Would a cytospin preparation with a following in situ
hybridization or in situ PCR be a better alternative?

Anna-Lena Lundgren

Reply:

This lab has recovered enterovirus RNA from CSF using GuSCN-silica
extraction: the Boom method
J Clin Micro 1990 28:495-503

Jon Clewley