mol.weight on SDS PAGE

Koen De Smet kds30
Tue Dec 12 04:27:41 EST 1995

SDS polyacrylamide gels are often used for determination of
the molecular weight of a protein, although several proteins
are known that produce an over- or underestimate of their true
molecular weight on a SDS-PAG.

We study a glycoprotein that gives such an abberant molecular
weight on SDS-PAG. We would like to mention this in a
manuscript we are preparing. Does anybody know of a paper that
we can refer to that discusses the accuracy and shortcomings
of this technique for molecular weight determination (of
glycoproteins)?

Thanks