Alternative to Lysostaphin for Lysing S.aureus

K.G. Korth kkorth at kcc.com
Tue Dec 12 14:06:20 EST 1995

Hi netters!

While doing QIAGEN genomic DNA isolation columns the kit recommends using
lysostaphin in place of lysozyme for making the cleared lysate of
S.aureus.  It works great.  The only problem is that lysostaphin is so
blasted expensive it jacks the price per prep beyond a useful level.  I
know lysozyme doesn't work well for S.aureus (believe me, I've tried
it!).  Does anyone out there know something that will??? E-mail or post
(or both).

--
K.G.Korth
KCC Microbiology Research Laboratories