Ethidium bromide

Dr Patrick HJ Falckh p.falckh at rmit.edu.au
Wed Dec 13 21:16:09 EST 1995

In article <4ad9fc$km2 at dub-news-svc-2.compuserve.com>,
100414.220 at compuserve.com (Stefan Kley) says:

>Hi there,
>
>I have a problem with ethidium bromide. I ran a PAGE today to check
>the integrity of a few cDNA probes that I'm about to use in Northern
>Hybridisations. In order to visualize the DNA with UV light, I put the
>gel into an ethidium bromide bath for 45 minutes after the run.
>However, under UV light, the gel appeared empty, lacking a signal even
>from the slot where I loaded the DNA standard.

I also add EtBr into the gel (agarose) but not into the buffer.  The
advantage of this is that the amount of EtBr you use, and then liable to
spill, is limited.  The EtBr moves in the opposite direction to your
cDNA and thereby decreases background.  Using agarose is also much
safer.

Regards
Patrick Falckh