so many claims for so many kits -- how can we tell what works?

Vijay Sarthy vjsarthy at merle.acns.nwu.edu.
Wed Dec 13 17:36:19 EST 1995

In article <4a9msg$s0f at news.duke.edu>, Margon Vandongen
<vando005 at mc.duke.edu> wrote:

> TA cloningsystem from Invitrogen of course never fails it is expensive
> and if I ever are going to have time we develop our own T vector.

As of last year Promega's TA cloning system (pGEM-T) was considerably
cheaper and worked all the time for us (although we never tried cloning
fragments larger than 1 kb). The drawback was that the cloning sites were
inconvenient and expensive (multiple double-digests using NotI and NcoI).
I didn't have much choice due to a few internal sites. This may not be a
problem for many others and the ligations, transformations, and sequencing
went off without a hitch.