Qiaex QX1 buffer composition?

David Micklem drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 13 16:24:39 EST 1995

In article <4an59d$jco at cpca3.uea.ac.uk>, A.LEECH at uea.ac.uk (Andrew Leech) wrote:

>Hi,
>We use Qiaex kits for DNA extraction from agarose, but the QX1
>solubilisation buffer always seems to run out first. The handbook
>only says that QX1 contains sodium perchlorate and has pH below
>7.5. Does anybody have the recipe for QX1 or for a suitable
>replacement? We use TAE gels, not TBE so borate is not a problem.
>Would NaI work with Qiaex resin?

Hi Andrew,

According to my trusty 'The Qiagenologist' 3rd Edition, 1990 (!) QX1 is 3M
NaI, 4M NaClO4, 5mM Tris/HCl, pH7.5 0.1% Na2SO3.

Of course, they may have changed the recipe by now...

You could check out  the Methods  FAQ for info on 'suitable replacements'
for any of the components of SiO2 based DNA purification kits, or the
'Merlin preps' protocol that was posted to the net ages ago (I can't
remember if there is a pointer to it in the FAQ or not...)

Hey Qiagen! I know you're listening.  One of the best features of your
kits (and the reason I _used_ to recommend them) was that you included the
recipes of the buffers, as well as a good explanation of how the whole kit
worked.  Please return these details to us - they are extremely useful for
troubleshooting [especially when the trouble is a result of spilling the
bottle of Qxyz on the bench  ;-)]

D.R.Micklem,
Tennis Court Road,
Cambridge CB2 1QR             Fruit flies like a banana.
UK
Tel: [+44] (0)1223 334129     Email:drm21 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fax: [+44] (0)1223 334089