Ultracompetent E.coli cells!?! - Summary

Paul N Hengen pnh at kaylor.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Dec 13 13:13:13 EST 1995

Shin Enomoto (shin at biosci.cbs.umn.edu) wrote:

: Has anyone tried the Inoue-protocol on cells grown in minimal media? I
: have been able to get 10^9 for DH5alpha and XL1-blue.

Does this mean you've tried it? Can you post your protocol including the recipe
for the media you use? I'd like to try to repeat your result with the same two
strains.

: I noticed that
: 1/100 dilution of a fresh saturated culture at 5pm is optimal for
: harvesting next AM at 18 degrees.  And it seems as if these two strains
: are almost cs.  Is this a known behaviour of recA strain or something
: else that is common to these two strains?

Can you explain further what cs means?